Tuesday, February 27, 2018

to post or to live... this is the question!!

So it seems that keeping up with these posts has become more challenging as time goes on.  I am attributing this to the simple fact that I have fully relaxed, and am taking my time to relax into the journey.  Also, the days remain packed and at the end of them, bed seems far more appealing than a computer screen....  anyway, moments of killing time at a train station seem the perfect time to make some updates so here we are....

Alongside some pictures I am going to post, I feel it would be prudent to throw down some random thoughts. 

1.  the word 'RESORT' doesn't mean the same thing internationally.  At all!  While many accommodations encountered would qualify, it seems in Thailand that the mere occurrence of a swimming pool (and on occasion even without) constitutes a 'resort'.  This can be confounding when trying to book places online.  Rule of thumb has quickly become to book one or two nights max in a new town and then extend if it's nice, or beat it. 

2. Nothing looks like the photos you looked at online.  Like really, NOTHING.  Many of the towns (especially the busy ones) seem to take on a 'build it, pay it off, and then let it fall apart' philosophy of property management.  It's quite rare to see anyone doing any actual MAINTENANCE to the properties.  In this regard, you truly do get what you pay for.  Rumours you hear of being able to stay somewhere really nice for $30 are hogwash unless you booked it for a minimum week stay well ahead of time. 

That's all I want to offer along those lines for now... because the beach photos that I need to share are far more important at this particular moment!!

So, a voyage to Railay Beach (east and west) revealed some interesting spots.  Shabby chic is an understatement. But this particular spot was more than worthy of a photo.  I mean come on....











So there may or may not have been a hike up to a view point...  This is literally looking up.  Like, virtually straight up.  Not for the faint of heart let me tell you...
















It may or may not have resulted in this next level of sweaty mess...













But I an unequivocally say that it was worth it.  I mean look at that view...   I paid for it in quad pain for the next couple of days, but I'd do it again.  next time.   After I heal!!!











This is a mosque located directly next to the most recent accommodation. It's stunning really.  The muslim population in the south of Thailand is considerably more dense apparently.  I will concede though, the 530am prayers occasionally got to me. I don't entirely understand why, in a tourism focused town, there is a consideration that everyone in a 3km radius should be entitled to sharing in the prayer.  Over massive loudspeakers.  I'd be lying if I said this didn't bother me....  A shame because aside from that it was one of the nicest accommodations of the trip.


Long tail boats are the way around this area, and the only way to get to Railay beach.  They provide some pretty amazing views of the rock formations that line the southern coast line.  Two day trips were made to Railay, alongside a day on a speed boat visiting other surrounding islands.  I need to dump some more photos from my phone, but as soon as I do I will put up a purely media post that provides some insight into how ridiculously scenic this part of the world is.











A few last random thoughts... Got a flat on a scooter I rented.  This GEM followed me to it after I found him.  put air in.  got it back to his shop.  removed the tire, found the culprit (the TINIEST little filament of wire) replaced the tube, and put it all back together.  Gave me a bill for $150 Thai Baht.  That's about $6 cdn.  He couldn't figure out why I was crying.  He of course has NO IDEA what my last Harley repair cost...   if he did, he'd fully understand.





IF you run out of gas on Koh Phangan, you have this option.  it's about 1.5 times the cost of gas at a proper station, but they are everywhere and are coin operated.  Not too shabby....
















Can't see a coin operated machine in spitting distance, not a problem.  Pick yourself up a litre of gas (91!!) in a bottle at a road side rack.  Twice the price as the conventional gas station, but of course better than pushing!!!   I mean you talk about the entrepreneurial spirit being alive and well!!








And lastly...this was my birthday.  It was weird spending it away from most of my universe, but if you're gonna, it might as well be somewhere as spectacular as this.  I mean really....  this was amazing. 












Okay, that's it for now.  I'll have a bit more time to kill in a bangkok hotel room with what SHOULD be fairly reliable wifi over the coming days.  More spectacular photography straight ahead.  For now, I have to contemplate catching a train and getting some sleep....  Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment