Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Filgrims/Hilgrims

Well, it was a cold wet day. I am happy that in minutes I will be crawling into my bed. My body is fully exhausted.

Ever since Sarria we are regularly encountering the filgrim (fake pilgrim) or the hilgrim (hundred KM pilgrim) and my friends and I have come to (affectionately) call them. This is a variety of walker usually not carrying a pack (because their luggage is on a bus that meets them every couple of km just in case they want to get on it) who walk at an astonishing pace and are ALWAYS especially chipper. It's neither here nor there most of the time until I have to wait 35 minutes for a seat and a coffee in a cafe in a tiny town because... Well, I am sure you can do the math!!

More rain in the forecast, just to make the last couple of days interesting. Less than 70 to go now. What a rush. To think I started with. A sign in St Jean that said 790!!

I am definitely feeling emotional, and a sense of accomplishment. Pilgrim mass Friday will really be something.

The rain hinders my photographic spirit, but a not so rare filgrim sighting has been captured. Please note their identity has been kept hidden to protect the innocent!

My body is on the verge of revolt so I am heading to bed. Nite nite....

1 comment:

  1. Well, Greg, keep on moving, man! You're just about there, even I'm feeling emotional here! Enjoy the Santiago-arrival,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete