Friday, October 25, 2013

Santiago

So now that I have had TWO hot showers, some food, a (mediocre) nights sleep, some breakfast, and a chance to breathe, I am pleased to advise I am here and I have received my compostella. What a day yesterday was....

20km's in the driving rain. Seriously. It pretty much poured from the moment I walked out in the morning until the minute I stepped into the city proper. That irony was not lost on me, nor overly appreciated. It was a good idea to wait to write this until this morning suffice to say!!

The point came just over an hour in where avoiding puddles was pointless because the amount of water squeezing out of my shoes with each step was greater than the puddles would have replaced soo, one less thing to worry about I suppose. I remain hopeful my shoes MAY be dry by the time the weekend is up!

I am headed to pilgrim mass today. I am sure it will be emotional. I am also going to place some rocks on the steps of the cathedral today. I have carried them a LONG way. And what a journey it has been. My feet talked to me last night and professed thanks that we're stopping today. I am glad for it :-)

I'll continue to write over the next couple of days. I am in Europe for a bit more exploration yet :-)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Greg!! I've loved every single post & am beyond words proud of you for completing such an epic journey. 790km!! Whaaaaat?! Ahh-mazing, my friend. Enjoy the post-camino adventures before coming home! have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, man, you did it! Let the emotions flow, enjoy your stay in Santiago. Thanks for sharing the Camino with me, both live and blog-wise, it was a real pleasure. If by any chance your Europe-exploration hits Belgium, our door is open... Hasta la vista!

    ReplyDelete